The old steel plant that has been both a long-time neighbor and provider for generations on the city’s south side will be torn down in late March and a group of long-time employees will share their memories of the plant and of their co-workers. Retired Ohio State history professor Mansel G. Blackford, who researched and wrote the book A Portrait Cast in Steel about the history of the plant in 1982, will moderate the discussion. The company’s lineage can be traced back to the Murray-Hayden foundry that produced malleable iron products in a downtown building beginning in 1881, but it got its start west of Parsons Avenue in 1899 when Wilbur Godspeed and T.P. Linn purchased thirty acres for the construction of a modern steel plant. By 1902, the plant was producing steel, which it did in various forms until its successor Columbus Castings closed in August, 2016. The plant had eight hundred employees when it closed, but its workforce exceeded 2,000 in the 1950s. The event will be held at the auditorium of the Columbus Metropolitan Library, 96 South Grant Avenue. Parking is available in the library’s underground garage (first hour free).
Back to All Events
Earlier Event: March 15SOLD OUT-Lost Restaurants of Central Ohio and Columbus
Later Event: April 19POSTPONED-Cromwell Dixon, Columbus’ First Professional Aviator