About the columbus historical society
The Columbus Historical Society was founded in 1990 by a group of avid professional and amateur local historians with a passion to share Columbus history. We identified a need to protect and share the history of the broader community, with an emphasis on the core city and county environs. We work closely with other local historical organizations to cross promote activities, education, events, preservation, programs, and publications offered throughout the community. We provide outstanding free public programs, off-site exhibits, publications, elementary and adult education, and our signature summer bus tour series. We collect Columbus and Central Ohio historic artifacts and document the stories of people, places and events in our unique history.
Heritage Tourism is now a primary focus delivering direct consumer and education services, and promoting events with other like-minded organizations. We also provide a permanent exhibit space, publications, web-based and print educational information, and community outreach. We aim to preserve Central Ohio's artifacts and stories for future generations.
The mission of the Columbus Historical Society is to educate the citizenry, to preserve the historical artifacts of Central Ohio, and to instill pride, love and respect for ourselves, our cultures, and our ways of life.
- To research, document, and collect the history of the Columbus metropolitan area by traditional historical methods, oral histories, and the most advanced technological means available.
- To disseminate, educate and promote the diverse histories of the Columbus metropolitan area through programs that arouse public interest and invite wide community participation.
- To publish books, monographs, documents, etc. with exacting scholarly standards.
- To identify and mark historic sites of the Columbus metropolitan area.
- To protect and preserve items, sites or properties of historic significance to the Columbus metropolitan area.
- To identify and acquire materials, artifacts, and information.
- To establish a base of operations, which includes a museum, library, office facilities, public meeting rooms, and serves as a repository of items of historic significance to the Columbus metropolitan area.
- To protect, preserve, and make accessible all property in the custody of the Columbus Historical Society.
- To cooperate with other historical societies, libraries, institutions, or organizations seeking our resources.
Our Board of Trustees
The contributions of our Board of Trustees allow us to keep our volunteer organization involving in the Central Ohio community.